Saturday, October 9, 2010

Halloweén


It´s almost that time of year again - no not Christmas!! Halloween!!!
It has turned into a commercial headache of Americanised "Trick or Treating". Don´t get me wrong I don´t mind the neighbours children coming around, dressed up and clearly making the effort to get into the spirit of the event.
Halloween is the time when the two worlds can communicate with each other. Looking at this from my stand point it is the time for celebrating what our Elders have left behind, our gifts that we have are given to us from them and on this night we can give thanks for that. Also a celebration of the craft of Herbalism, we have been handed down this knowledge too, and as it seems increasingly likely that we will be banned from buying herbs from ungoverned places due to a law that has been passed. Which will result in only being able to purchase "proven" herbs and there uses defined by a small few. It is important more than ever to remember the herbal potions and lotions, remedies etc that we use, that were given to us from our Elders and pass them onto our next generation so that the Knowledge never ends.
I sell some herbs, flowers, seeds, etc in my Etsy shop. I give a little bit of info with each one. Anyone who is interested in herbs and would like more information please feel free to email me.
Another purpose of Halloween is the cleansing with fire. I have created my hearth in a small area of my garden, this is where I burn herbs and write little notes that I can burn. These notes consist of bad habits that I want to break or poems that I want to give to Mother Earth, they can be anything really.You can do this anytime but there are more powerful times of the year, Halloween being one of them.
So, Halloween has a lot going for it, don´t forget it and celebrate our Elders, celebrate the Knowledge of Herbs, and Use the fire to cleanse.
One more point for all the single people out there. Take an apple just before midnight of Halloween Eve and sit in front of a mirror, ask the reflection of yourself who your husband will be, three times say this to your reflection, whilst peeling the apple, try and take the skin off in one go, it is more powerful. Your future husband should appear or you will dream of him that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment