Thursday, February 25, 2010

Planting Out

Well another lovely day! In the UK it is pretty grim with all the snow, it makes you feel a bit guilty when you complain about silly things going wrong in the garden. I have took my little plantlings out of their safe houses, these were constructed to protect the plants from the wind and hottest of sun, they are really making a difference to the yield. I planted out a melon plant I grew from seed, it really is a nervous moment, it seems that sometimes things just don´t take or the weather turns nasty and I wish I hadn´t removed them from the safety of the their plant house but I have got a system whereby I plant one out and plant one into a pot so I can always move the potted one about. My potatoes that I planted in December are doing well, a little bent over from the storms but they have started to flower. The next crop aren´t so good but will bank up today, this usually brings them on. I use my own homemade compost, we started with a homemade wooden box, made from internal shelf wood that we had leftover but it wasn´t built to last, it served its purpose and proved to my non green fingered husband that making your own compost works so we invested in a big plastic one, which seems to be better at generating more heat.
Well enough bletherings better get back to the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment